Monday 7 October 2013

Tuesday 1 October, 2013 
Birmingham City 4 - 0 Millwall (no-one likes them)
St. Andrew's Stadium  -  Attendance: 13,133

A new month, and a new ex-Blues player on my club calendar, but what does October have in store for pie lovers......



 
Verdict:
I couldn't take the risk of a half-time poor showing (see previous blogs), so went for a pre-game Steak & Kidney pie, with compulsory ketchup.  Everyone knows that pre-match pies aren't as good as half-time ones (again, see previous blogs), so I was already on the defensive.

Service was great as usual and the pie looked OK, with a bit of sinkage in the middle, suggesting undercooking.

First tastes were great. Crispy top, hot filling. I thought the mid-week pie problems had finally been solved.

But my enthusiasm was short-lived.  Whilst tasty, there was a paltry (not poultry) amount of steak or kidney and - completely opposite to my undercooking expectations - the bottom was burnt!

I don't quite understand how that's possible in a tinfoil encased pie, but the bottom pastry tasted like bread that's been in a toaster turned up to 11.

Some good points, especially for a mid-week pre-game pie, but the overcooking is inexcusable, so:

SCORE : 6/10
 
 
Another match on Saturday gives a great chance to undo this poor(ish) score and go into the International break in fine form!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment